Monday, December 8, 2008

Left-over Turkey Broccoli Casserole

This recipe is something I learned to make when I was but a wee wife of 19 years of age. It was so good it has stuck with me all of these years (in my mind and apparently on my hips). Here's what you'll need:

1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups cooked, chopped turkey meat
1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 (7 ounce) package whole wheat crackers, crushed
3 tablespoons butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a 9x13 inch baking dish combine turkey, broccoli, cheese, cream of mushroom soup and cooked rice.
In a small bowl combine crushed crackers and melted butter. Spread over rice mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until crackers are crispy.

I made one alteration to the recipe. Instead of using whole wheat crackers, I used Wheat Thins, since that's all I had. At the dinner table, the thirteen-year-old girl said, "Mom, can I make a suggestion without offending you?" I told her she could and she said that it was very good, but suggested that I not use Wheat Thins next time. I told her that I wasn't offended at all and that I appreciate constructive criticism as long as it's dished out in a nice way, which it was. The twelve-year-old boy said, "I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, Mom." Score! Here it is...



I need to have you know that I used a 9x13 casserole dish in which to bake this and the family adored it so much that the ENTIRE pan was empty, I mean cleaned out, by the time dinner was over. I was truly shocked. Even the babies cleaned their high chair trays...


...and guess who's smiling today? Jo-jo! I hope you try this casserole. Your family will love it and I'm sure ham or chicken could be substituted for the turkey. We still have Christmas leftovers coming up, so keep this in mind. Thanks for joining me today. Stay tuned tomorrow for the lamest laundry post ever written...

I am pleased to list this post at...

-Tip Junkie's "Talk to me Tuesday",
-5 Minutes for Mom's "Tackle It Tuesday",
-Tammy's Recipe's "Kitchen Tip Tuesday",
-Blessed With Grace's "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday",
-Mary's "Tightwad Tuesday",
and
-The Lazy Organizer's "Talk About Tuesday".

Check out these blogs! You're going to love 'em!

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe
(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Jo-Jo! So cute. My kids love this dish too except I haven't done crackers on top. Will try and see how they like it. Thanks for sharing.

threesidesofcrazy said...

I was just looking at a bag of turkey pieces in the freezer and wondering what to do with it. Thanks for answering that question!!

Susie said...

What a yummy tackle:-)

Christine said...

Thanks for posting this, Cousin Jen. I love easy casseroles like this, especially since I always cook my chicken, shred it and freeze it for many meals all at the same time. If I have chicken in the freezer we might be having this tonight. Thanks!

Connie said...

Yummy and easy. Two things I always consider before constructing a mean :) Thanks!

April said...

I just tried this tonight, THANKS! It was delicious.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

I needed this recipe after Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing. Don't forget about the TMTT giveaway, next week. I don't want you to miss out.

stitchin' girl said...

I love your blog! I tried the menu from Saturday and everyone loved it. I am going to try this turkey one as soon as I get some broccoli. Thanks so much!

Rebecca said...

Looks easy & tasty! I think I even have all of the ingredients, my son LOVES broccoli so we've always got that on hand. =] 9am and I know what's for dinner - thanks!