Sunday, February 1, 2009

Homemaker Monday: Kitchen Clutter

Welcome to...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs. (By the way, if you have been featured on Homemaker Monday in the past, your name is on my left sidebar. Check it out!)

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to my cousin-in-law, RhondaLue at Whetten Wonders! It seems that all I think about these days are ways I can put healthy foods on my kitchen table. RhondaLue has come up with a brilliant, nutritious carrot cake recipe that fits my bill for goodness. Look at the goodness...


She uses Xagave nectar, something that has become a staple in my home, as it is a sweetener with a glycemic index rating about a third that of honey or refined sugar. I can feel good about using this wonderful honey-like substance as I've suffered from gestational diabetes three times, we have a son who is "pre-diabetic", and my father died four months ago due to diabetic complications. She also used freshly ground, 100% whole wheat. I almost swooned when I read that. This recipe sounds absolutely delicious and, RhondaLue, thank you so much for linking it up to Homemaker Monday! For RhondaLue's entire post, please click HERE. P.S. RhondaLue, I hope you are planning on coming to the family reunion down here in July. I can't wait to meet you in person! (Oh, and feel free to take the "I Was Featured" button from my left sidebar!)


MINE: Let me ask you a question...Does my kitchen look too busy and cluttered? Here is a photo of our kitchen before we officially moved in...


The floor is glossy, the counters are clear, and the pot rack hadn't yet been installed.

Here is a more recent photo of our kitchen right before Sunday dinner, an occasion we host every week for 23 to 28 of our immediate and extended family members...(Feel free to click to enlarge.)


You can see this kitchen is now being well-used. The floor has lost it's sheen (which is actually fine with me, as it gives it a more rustic look), the pot rack has been installed and is used over five times each day, the breakfast area has been stocked, complete with cereal dispenser, toaster, Vitamix, and the lazy susan tray stuffed with morning condiments. We've also added an extra table and moved the large rectangular table perpendicular to the island to allow for more seating, as the five kids often bring that many or more home for lunch on any given day.

So, I ask you, is there too much going on in my kitchen? Is it too cluttered and busy, or do all the countertop additions add interest and character? If you'd like, I'd love for you to take the poll on my right sidebar. Don't be afraid to be honest. I have no way of tracking who clicks what when it comes to polls, so you don't have to worry about me tracking you down if you say it's too cluttered. I would just really like to know what the general population thinks. After all, I was raised by a man who grew up in a junk yard, and clutter feels like home to me. So let's here it either through voting on the poll on the right sidebar or in a comment. I'm looking forward to your input!

OURS: Okay, now it's your turn. Last week we had the biggest link-up at Homemaker Monday ever, so I would like to thank all who participated for sharing your great tips! Can't wait to see what you've got for us today. Have a great one!



I am pleased to list this post @...
Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday,
LL's Making a Happy Home Monday, and
A Southern Fairytale's Mouth-Watering Monday.

Check out these blogs! You're going to love 'em!


If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

20 comments:

Sarah J. said...

I love your kitchen! Your blog looks like it reflects the mood of your home! It seems so cozy and friendly, I wouldn't change a thing about it. Happy Monday, and thanks for inspiring me to be a better homemaker! The tip I left today is one I put up a while ago, but it's as good of an idea now as it was then.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Absolutely not! Your kitchen is fantastic. I believe a kitchen is the heart of a home and reflects who you are. I see your kitchen and I can just imagine all the kids doing homework, experimenting with recipes, playing board games on rainy days, etc...

Beca said...

I don't think it's cluttered at all. Cluttered to me means small and cramped. Your kitchen looks spacious and organized. You'd have to drag in much more stuff for it to look cluttered.

annies home said...

talk about clutter you should see my kitchen after the kids cook then you can talk about clutter lol

Unknown said...

Your kitchen is beautiful, I love the rustic look. I don't think it looks cluttered at all, it looks like lots of love is served!

Sarah said...

WHAT!!??? Does it look cluttered!!!??? Your kitchen looks like it came out of a magazine! Your kitchen is awesome!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Your kitchen looks fabulous! Nice and lived in, comfy! This is my first time joining in, I have mine posted. Hope it fits in OK. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen looks very organized, and everything goes well with its style. I think you have "economized" on the space extremely well. And believe me, I am an appliance gal, so I have plenty on my counters too (though I try to keep as much as possible put away).

Amanda B. said...

Nope- not busy at all! I think your kitchen looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BarbaraJo said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you got your bubble bath.

Lynn said...

I think your kitchen is gorgeous. It looks really warm and homey, like the people who live there really love it. And you can't beat a well-loved home :)

I'm not putting up an official link because my Homemaking Monday idea is a guest post on Fishmama's blog . . . but thought you might be interested in it, as it's on 7 Ways to Trick yourself into Thinking Housework is Fun. The link is here: http://www.lifeasmom.com/2009/02/7-ways-to-trick-yourself-into-thinking.html

Emily said...

WOW. I would LOVE to see your entire house. Im interested to see why you are living in mexico. I am sure if I read far enough back I will discover all the anwsers.

I would KILL for your kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I love your kitchen too. It looks lived in with the stuff in now and I think thats is good. I don't think it is too much at all. Hopefully i will be down soon for one of those Sunday family dinners.

Anonymous said...

I agree w/everyone else. It is lovely.
I voted no but your kitchen doesn't have a lot of stuff. It looks like a well organized balance.
Not to much or little.

Rhonda said...

Im honored! Thanks for featuring me Jen. I think you'll be very pleased with the taste of that carrot cake. Let me know what you think when you do make it!

Marilyn said...

I love your kitchen. I have a large space-but not THAT large. I would like to hear more recipes on what you do with your Vita-Mix. We have one too and love the smoothies it makes but I am always open for more.

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Lots of kids = lots of stuff. Yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

This is my first time participating in your linky here- thanks so much for having me over!

Danelle Ice / Homemaker Barbi

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I don't think you have too much going on. It looks great! And I've seen places a lot more 'busy' than yours.

Shawna Bates said...

I think your kitchen is fantastic!
It has a very homey, comfy, lets have iced tea or coffee feel to it!!
I love it actually!!