Monday, February 15, 2010

Homemaker Monday: How to Make Pre-Bake and Freeze Bread Sticks or Rolls

Welcome to the 80th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to Kristen over at "Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker"! She posted a wonderful recipe for homemade graham crackers. I love it when people come up with homemade versions of grocery store favorites. Rather than feeding her kids hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and a vast number of chemicals I can't even say, her recipe uses whole wheat flour, honey, and real butter...


These look so fun to make and I can't wait to try this recipe with the kids. Thank you so much, Kristen, for linking up with Homemaker Monday every week and we look forward to hearing much more from you! For Kristen's entire post, click HERE.

MINE: This week, I'd like to share how to make pre-bake and freeze rolls or bread sticks to have on hand and pop in the oven for a quick, homemade treat.

The first step is to make the dough for the rolls or bread sticks of your choice. Because this it probably my most popular recipe, let's use the super-quick and easy whole wheat bread sticks...


Rather than reposting the entire recipe here, I'll just give you the link to the original recipe. It's HERE.

Once you've rolled out the sticks and placed them on a greased cookie sheet, bake them as you would if you were to serve them immediately, except cut the baking time in half, in the case of these bread sticks, for about 6 minutes. Here's how they'll look...


See? They really don't look done, right? Because they're not.

Next, place the whole cookie sheet with the bread sticks into the freezer and flash freeze for 1 to 2 hours, then remove the bread sticks from the cookie sheet and place them into Ziploc bags to keep in the freezer.

When it comes time to bake the bread sticks for your next meal, preheat the oven as you would for the original recipe, in this case to 375 degrees F, and finish the baking process, which should be between 15 and 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

This trick is definitely useful to me right now as I prepare and freeze food in preparation for the birth of our baby boy. Hope you find it as useful as I have! Thanks for listening.

OURS: Okay, I'm so excited to see what great homemaking ideas you have for us today. Last week we experienced the largest participation yet in Homemaker Monday....25 links! Thank you so much and I hope you enjoy perusing all of the awesome tips today. Have a great Homemaker Monday!

10 comments:

SnoWhite said...

what a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing.

singlemormonchick said...

so many good posts this week! i love yours! a brilliant idea that i cannot believe i didnt think of before. i am going to do it right away so that i always have rolls in the freezer. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Swinging by to say hello Jen! Your blog looks fantastic! You are a "Mommy Rockstar!"

Terri (the jelly lady)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Thank you, Terri! I'm still not sure its really "me", but I wanted something spring-y. We'll see how long it lasts!

Unknown said...

I would have loved this graham cracker recipe when my children were growing up-I tried to do as much as I could health wise in feeding them.

Last year when I was recovering from septic shock, graham crackers one of the only foods I could easily eat, and I would have loved to ahve someone makes homemade ones for me. I kept a package on my bed so I could have one whenever I wanted. I could eat one with my fingers so I didn't have to battle utensils!

Great post as always.

Unknown said...

I passed your link on to a dear friend of mine, Ambra, who is also pregnant with baby #11. Her children are the same ages as yours too, and she is as sweet as can be. As I read her blog today I felt I was to give her your link and tell you about you.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Well, thank you, Thorney! I would love to have her link as well. I would like to place her on my Mega-Family blog. You can pass that link on to her if you'd like it's...

http://megafamilies.blogspot.com

Thank you again!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Great post! I just love bread! And thanks for featuring the graham crackers post. They sound really good.

By the way, I was very suprised when I logged on and saw the new banner. Love the new look!

Panamamama said...

Love the breadstick and graham cracker ideas! I can't fit a whole cookie sheet in my freezer, going to have to improvise!

Rachat de credit said...

Thanks it was a good help, now to make pre-bake and freeze bread sticks or rolls is easy with your information. Kudos