Sunday, December 19, 2010

Homemaker Monday: Randomness

This post is in progress...

Okay, I'm on vacation, and I'm totally going to cheat today. What I wrote really doesn't have much to do with homemaking, just 5 random things that happened to me over the last 48 hours....

1. An 85-year-old man came up to me from behind as I was sitting in my chair at a church Christmas party, put his hands on my shoulders, and said, "Hello, Sister Beautiful." On a side note, this man once tenderly and gently, but stealthily and unexpectedly kissed me on my lips. I thought this was about to happen again, so I carefully looked up at him and hugged him, hoping to diffuse the situation, then he simply asked me how I was. I said, "Much better, now that you're here." He smiled largely, and said, "Why, thank you!", and walked away still smiling. I'm glad I could brighten the evening of one of the elderly in our ward.

2. As John and I, with 5 of our kids, were making the long drive from our home to the border, we were stopped at a routine soldier check point. The soldier and John made nice to each other, then the soldier asked where we were going and how many of us were in the van. John told him we were going to El Paso, and that there were 5 of our 10 children with us. The soldier's eyes got large, then a smile spread across his face. "Como conejos, no?" he remarked, laughing. This means "like rabbits, right?" I always love it when strange random men remark on the frequency of my sexual encounters. I guess that's what I get for having ten kids.

3. Because of an unexpectedly long wait at the border crossing, I missed my plane to Utah, but as I was trying to remedy my situation, I met an elderly lady and her much more elderly mother, and had a poignant conversation with them about having children, infertility, adoption and their grand- and great-grandbabies. When I called John to tell him I had missed my plane, he said there was a reason.

4. We found out what the reason was. Earlier in the day, Twin B began exhibiting mild symptoms of asthma accompanying a recent viral infection. Because I ended up traveling by car with John and the 7 kids, instead of flying with Baby Hippo, I was able to keep a constant vigil on Twin B, and was able to determine as time went by, that he was getting progressively worse. By the time we arrived to our destination for the night, Albuquerque, he was wheezing loudly and sucking in air with such effort, that he was nearly trembling. Before even driving to our hotel, we went to the after-hours pediatric clinic nearby, where he was given a double treatment with a nebulizer by a very worried doctor.

After stabilizing him, she said that she would be remiss to advise we go on, and said that she wanted reevaluate him the next day. After we gave him 3 more treatments in the hotel room, he vastly improved and during our subsequent visit with the pediatrician, we were given a pass to continue our trip. Such a "tender mercy" that I missed my plane.

5. I became accutely aware of the fact that there are no traffic lights in our town. As we traveled through mid-sized cities at night, the twins would point and yell, "Reh YiiiiIIIIght! Yeyow Yiiiiiiiiight! Deen YiiiiiiIIIIIIght!" every time we passed a traffic light, which was infinity times.

We're still traveling. I'll fill you in on how things are going later. Thanks for listening!

Here's Linky!




P.S. My sister and I are finally getting skinnier!
See how we're doing it HERE! :)

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Awww....hope the asthma issues stay clear - we have 2 with asthma and it's pretty trying at times! God be with you!

Elsa said...

Sorry to hear about the asthma! :(

Heidi said...

Thanks for hosting the linky party. Merry Christmas!

Myhouse4nine said...

I am so very glad you were able to be there with the family during that trial for twin B. But driving for long periods is rarely fun!Are you headed to Utah? I could be fun to meet you...

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Myhouse4nine, yes I'm in Utah, in East Canyon. Pretty remote place, but beautiful! Where are you?

Shelley said...

Hi Jen - East Canyon is not too far from me in Draper! Bet you got a LOT of snow last night!! Are you here for Christmas?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Hi Shelley,

My daughter lives in Draper! We will be spending time with her there, and yes, we will be here for Christmas. Our first white Christmas in a long time~!

Shelley said...

Fun! Is this your married daughter? I think you and I are "connected" on LinkedIn if you want to communicate there... I may forget to check back here! I'm working and have only 1 day off for Christmas. (Christmas Eve) :( But I'm planning to enjoy it with my brand-new grandson and family! Hope you're enjoying yours!

Myhouse4nine said...

I am in the wet west desert of deseret! Go Army!

Tasha Lehman said...

Merry Christmas!

Andrea said...

Hi! I just found your blog today and I shared my Zucchini Lasagna recipe. It is gluten free and healthier than regular lasagna since zucchini is substituted for the pasta layers.
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Yikes Scary! Hope he is all better by now.